Monday, September 18, 2006

NYer Haiku: September 18, 2006

New Yorker Haiku



September 18, 2006



Annals of Economics: Mind Games
By John Cassidy

Economists want
To scan your brain, find why you
Aren't more rational.


Reflections: In the Waiting Room
By David Sedaris

Forget learning French:
In Paris, "d'accord" means
Random fun (sans clothes)!


Profiles: The Wanderer
By David Remnick

Ex-Prez Clinton now
Working to save Africa
As Friend of Bill (Gates).


Fiction: Something That Needs Nothing
By Miranda July

Girl, not one she wants?
A wig and a peep-show gig
Might work for a spell.


On Television: Her Debut
By Tad Friend

Couric as anchor:
So much likability,
No time left for news.


A Critic At Large: War and Remembrance
By Ian Buruma

Grass's great memoir:
Boy lost in heroic myths.
(Is the man as well?)


Books: Hugger-Mugger
By John Updike

Congo schemes, despair
From le Carre. No closure
In Ward Just's dark tale.


The Current Cinema: Inescapable Pasts
By David Denby

"The Black Dahlia"
Is choked of life. "The Ground Truth":
Feel Iraq vets' shock.

4 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

These are wonderful.

I used to get the New Yorker, but found it so overwhelming, that when I finally realized I had 12 unread issues backed up, I forced myself to cancel the subscription.

Keep up the good work! Fantastic!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger ruthe said...

Congrats, you've made it to the big time - your blog is on Gawker. And you're not even in New York!?!?! I will start polishing up my site now that I know midwesterners might catch the lofty gaze of the Gawker.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! My guilt about paying for something that I can't keep up with, my New Yorker subscription, is decreasing as I type. This blog and televisionwithoutpity.com are going to change my life.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderfully pithy.
Summary? Commentary?
It works either way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home